Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A YOUNG READER WITH HIGH POTENTIAL



















So vividly, I can remember Gabe from the public library. He was that little boy that checked out tons of books every week. A day rarely went by and he was not seen at the library. He was an avid reader which is something that I enjoyed seeing from a young student. If there were any new books at the library, he was sure to find them. In fact, take them all if his mother allowed it. I am sure that he read all of our paperback juvenile books on Captain Underpants and then some from other First Regional Branches.

Any programs that we had at the library...it was not a question of whether Gabe was attending. He was faithful. He particpated as much as possible...winning barnes and nobles certificates and much more.

This week, his mom, Eva informed me that she is taking him to Washington, DC next month to the National Book Festival.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Tenise. How sweet! Gabe will love reading those kind words. He has many fond memories of the Coldwater library. If he was looking for a certain book, he knew "Miss Tenise" could find it for him. He still talks about dressing up in his "Caps For Sale" costume and reading for an audience for one of the library's events. He enjoyed it so much, he did a "repeat performance" at school. The library is still one of his favorite places to go - whether it's Coldwater, Memphis - or next month to Washington. I remember the first time I took him to the Main Library in Memphis he said, "MOM! This is HEAVEN!" Without the encouragement of people like you, Shirley, Cathedral, Enda, and Tasha in Coldwater and Ms Laurie and Ms Lucille in Senatobia, I doubt whether he would as enthusiastic about reading as he is today. THANK YOU for all your support and encouragement! Hey, maybe he can use these comments in the forward of his first published book! LOL! May God bless you richly for the difference you have made in our lives! Love, Eva (Gabe's Mama)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tenise. I do not know you but feel like I do, because Eva has spoken so fondly of you and the library. That is so nice of you to blog about Gabe and I have enjoyed reading your thoughts on other matters as well. I'll save this in my favorites. Jane

Tenise said...

Thanks Eva! Gabe is blessed to have a mother in his life that promotes reading.

Tenise said...

Jane, it is very easy to talk about Gabe. I am just excited that he is doing so well with READING.

Keep reading my blog. Thanks, for your kind comments.