Friday, November 14, 2008

Stay As Far As You Can From Infidelity

Today's Marriage Minute comes entirely from the book Marriage Minutes by Dr. Bob and Cheryl Moeller. Published by Moody Press, copyright 1998.


Now then, my son, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say. Keep to a path far from [the adultress], do not go near the door of her house . . .Proverbs 5:7-8


Charles Spurgeon, the great English preacher of the nineteenth century, used to tell the story of a man who wanted to hire a buggy driver. He asked each applicant the same question: "How close do you think you can drive my carriage to the edge of a cliff without falling off?"

Driver after driver boasted of his daring and driving prowess. Yet none of them was offered the position. Finally one applicant appeared who considered the question, then gave a very different answer. "Sir, as your carrige driver it would be my business to keep you as far away from the edge of the cliff as possible," he said. "I have no intention of seeing how close to the edge I can come." He was hired on the spot.

The question in a marriage relationship should not be "How close can I come to infidelity without crossing the line?" Instead it should be "How can I put safeguards in place that will prevent me from even coming close to adultery?" Enter into a covenant today that you will both live your lives as far from the edge as humanly possible.

THIS WAS AN EXCELLENT MARRIAGE MINUTE!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the information on infidelity. That's some very good advice.

We recently wrote an article on infidelity at Brain Blogger. Cheating implies doing something wrong and not normal, being unfaithful to your partner. But what if it turns out that it’s not so abnormal for people to cheat? Would it make it normal?

We would like to read your comments on our article. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Kelly