Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Family That Preys

Could you be disrespecting your husband and not know it? Well, very often men feel rejected instead of respected. According to the book, "10 things I Want My Husband To Know...and How to Tell Him," several hundred women were questioned, "What is one thing you do that makes your husband angry?" Their responses were the following:

  • He hates it when I comment and give an opinion before I know all the facts.
  • He gets upset when I make him account for money he spends.
  • My husband hates to go to bed alone. I like to stay up late. This is a source of conflict between us.
  • He hates it when I give all my effort at work and then neglect the house and bills. He feels like I care more about everyone else than I care about him.
  • He gets angry when I withhold sex.
  • He gets upset when I try to control everything, even down to the smallest detail.

In other words, some of these women were DISRESPECTING their husband and not knowing. And, no woman who loves her husband would intentionally do this since they are one flesh. And, we love ourselves.

This bring me to the movie, "The Family That Preys". I saw it twice last week because I enjoyed it so much. Yet, the men that I spoke to about the movie previously to me going did not think it was ALL THAT. I wondered why they said that since Tyler Perry 's movies are always EXCELLENT. All his movies convey powerful messages to the audience that need to be heard. Well, after seeing the movie, I knew why the men felt that way.

In this movie, the husband was disrespected by his wife. The husband was a passive, hard working, blue collar worker who loved and trusted his wife. His wife was a college graduate who was very selfish and wanted more wealth than her husband had to offer at that time. So, her longing for more led her to being unhappy at home which led her to committing infidelity. On every Wednesday, she met her lover in a luxurious hotel room. Hoping that he would leave his wife but she got a shocker at the end of the movie. And, the child who was conceived during the marriage was not her husband but her lover. Can you imagine how the husband felt to find this out? Also, she had a secret bank account which had over $250,000 in it...not willing to share. Yet, knowing that her husband was interested in starting a business for the family. She did not allow him to show affection toward her. It just continued...the DISRESPECT throughout the movie. She was tearing her husband down despite him trying to love her and provide for her. She even told him that he was incapable of achieving his dream like owning his own construction business like he desired.

In the movie, there were many scenes that showed disrespect and that bothered me greatly like the wife telling the husband not to talk to anyone at the company's party because she did not want to be embarrassed. Or, the scene where she told him that he could never be like her lover because he was not smart, he stuttered, and did not have a degree. These scenes created many sounds of disbelief among the audience because it was shocking to hear and see-THE TOTAL DISRESPECT that the wife had for the husband.

According to the book, 10 Things I Want My Husband to Know...and How to Tell Him, by Annie Chapman, in one national study, four hundred men were given a choice between going through two different negative experiences. If they were forced to choose one of the following, which would they prefer to endure?


  • To be left alone and unloved in the world
  • To feel inadequate and disrespected by everyone

Seventy-four percent of these men said that if they were forced to choose, they would prefer being alone and unloved in the world. For these men, the greater negative experience for their souls to endure would be to feel inadequate and disrespected by everyone


Bottom Line: A Man Want To Be Respected and A Wife Should Do This

No comments: